What you will need:
4 12″ x 12″ sheets patterned paper
2 12″ x 12″ sheets cardstock
2 8″ x 8″ canvases
3 1″ strips of heavy ribbon, such as grosgrain (any width)
3 hinges OR 6 brads, eyelets or screws (optional)
1 4″ x 6″ transparency (optional)
2 brads (for inner album)
good, quick drying glue such as: scrappy glue, diamond glaze, scrappy tape
1. Using pattern paper, wrap canvases like you’d wrap a gift, securely gluing edges to back of canvas. One 12″ x 12″ sheet of paper is a good size for each canvas. I used two different sheets each cut in half and mirrored to look like a book, and glued securely across the full length of the seam down the middle. This prevents warping or binding of the papers giving a flatter surface for decorating.
2. Using cardstock, cut two 8″ x 8″ squares, saving scraps.
3. In each 8″ x 8″ square, cut a centered 6 1/2″ hole, saving square centers. NOTE: Check the width of your canvas frame and adjust this size if necessary. Most cutters have a centering guide on the back side of the blade so you know exactly where you’re cutting to. This allows you to cut out frames and save the inside pieces.
4. Cut 1/8″ off each side of the outside of the frames, to make a better fittting frame. Glue to backside of canvases.
5. Decorate inside and outside as desired.
6. Measure and mark along one edge of each canvas at 2″, 4″ and 6″. This is where you’ll attach the canvases together.
7. Attach hinges to canvases, OR brads, eyelets or screws to 1″ ribbon strips and adhere to canvas. NOTE: If you are decorating the inside of the canvases, do this last to prevent ripping the bindings off.
Hidden Accordion Album:
NOTE: Check the size of the inner hole in the canvas and adjust the sizes of your book accordingly.
1. Using pattern paper, cut a 4 3/4″ x 12″ strip and score at center and at 4 3/4″ from each end.
2. Fold strip with right side of paper facing outwards at center and at score marks. Your paper should look like a kite from above.
3. Match one score mark to center mark and crease new fold. Do the same for the other side. You should now have a front and back cover and two inner flaps.
4. Using cardstock scraps from Canvas Book frames, trim two 4 3/4″ x 4 3/4″ squares and adhere to inside of front and back covers. If you used double- sided paper, you may not need to do this. This gives the book a bit of stability if the pattern paper is thin.
5. Using pattern paper, cut two 4 3/4″ x 9″ strips and fold each in half, right sides out, creating inner pages. (If your paper is double-sided, you can cut two 4 3/4″ squares.) Ahdere one to backside of each inner flap in book.
6. Crease front cover, pages and back cover at edge of inner flaps and bind flaps and pages together with two brads.
7. Decorate as desired and place inside canvas book.